All Posts Filed in ‘History of Murrieta

Post

The History of MHS

Leave a reply

Meals at the Murrieta Hot Springs Resort looked very different in the early 1900’s. A man who had been a guest since 1915 recalls the meals being “family-style with milk by the pitcher and butter by the pound. Meat was served three times a day.” The rates for a stay at the resort, which included …

Post

The History of CCBC

Leave a reply

Calvary Chapel Bible College was founded in 1975 as a short, intensive study program. It was developed as a part of Calvary Chapel of Costa Mesa’s overall vision to equip the people of God for His service. Throughout its history, CCBC has remained true to its initial vision: to provide a place where serious and …

Post

The History of MHS

Leave a reply

The Los Angeles Angels once trained at Murrieta Hot Springs! In March of 1911, members of the Coast League team came to Murrieta during an unseasonably rainy spring training. Members took hot mineral and mud baths and had alcohol rubs and massages. Hugo Guenther was at their beck and call, providing daily delivery of the Los …

Post

The History of MHS

Leave a reply

Murrieta Hot Springs used to be part of the Great Dairy Herd! Guenther’s purebred Holstein cows won prizes at shows and fairs for their quality of milk. Mary Von Moos, who worked at the dairy for eighteen years during the 1940s and 1950s, said the Guenther cows had numbers instead of names. Cow No. 23 …

Post

The History of MHS

Leave a reply

In 1975, a man named R. J. Rudd, a self-proclaimed doctor of philosophy as well as an economist and Baptist minister, leased the hot springs. Rudd and his associates set up a clinic, promising to cure cancer patients through a diet of lemon juice and water. Desperate patients from all across the United States came …

Post

History of Murrieta Hot Springs

Leave a reply

Remodeling began in the late 1960’s as evidenced by the changes taking place in the management of the Murrieta Hot Springs. After 68 years, the Guenther family decided to sell the institution that was also their family home. Taxes were burdensome, people expected more anonymity; everything was different from the resort hotel and spa they …

Post

History of Murrieta Hot Springs

Leave a reply

The two female dormitories for Calvary Chapel Bible College–Monterey and California–were once hotels for Guenther’s Murrieta Hot Springs. The Monterey Hotel was completed in 1904 with running water and a toilet in each room. The California Hotel was built in 1908 to keep up with the demand of the ever-increasing popularity of the hot springs. …

Post

The History of Murrieta Hot Springs

Leave a reply

The room that we now know as the Mercy Room was once home to an on-site gym guests frequented over several decades. Overlooking the swimming pool, the gym housed equipment for weight training, rowing, tumbling, juggling, and boxing. Along with this gym came a separate building across the resort that was specifically for professional boxers …

Post

The History of Murrieta Hot Springs

Leave a reply

Guenther’s Murrieta Hot Springs resort included the Palm Dance Room, now known as the theater, where top-billed musicians entertained guests on holidays and weekends. Famous trumpeters, clarinetists, and pianists played songs while dance instructors taught guests swing, the mambo, and cha cha. When professional musicians were not at the resort, talented waiters and lifeguards doubled …

Post

The History of Murrieta Hot Springs

Leave a reply

When the resort was first established, Murrieta Hot Springs was an oasis in a landscape of fields and barren countryside. The city of Temecula was small and underdeveloped, proving the resort to be remote and isolated from the rest of society. Murrieta was roughly four miles away from other civilization, a walk some employees made …