I find myself in the same situation time and time again — I sit down to write a blog post or make a graphic and my mind is blank. Whatever ideas I had were erased the second I opened up that blank document. I get frustrated, usually writing or making something that is sub-par and not at all what I originally had planned.
Are you ever like me, lacking inspiration? Here are some tips to deal with having a mental block:
- Pray and read the Bible! What better way to get inspiration than by asking for help from the One who created everything!
- Go for a walk! Sitting stationary for long periods of time does not help when your creative juices are not flowing. Get up and move around. For every hour you sit at a computer, you should take a five-ten minute break.
- Look up some of your favorite artists’ work. Some great websites for creatives include:
- Write down any and all ideas that come to mind. It does not matter if you think they are “bad” — list anything that pops up. Chances are, at least one of those ideas will be beneficial.
- Turn your negative thoughts positive. We are our worst critic. Instead of thinking, “I cannot do this”, remember Philippians 4:13 — “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
- Get some sleep! If you are tired, there is a good possibility your creative thinking is, too. Go to bed a little earlier than normal for some much needed rest. Maybe inspiration will even come to you in a dream!
- Try something new. If you are trying to write a story or article, write it from a different point-of-view. If you are working on an art piece, approach it from a unique angle. Changing up your way of seeing what you are working on can help you gain better perspective of where you want to go.
- Come back to your project. Rome was not built in a day. Things take time; do not rush yourself. If you are struggling, work on something else, coming back when you feel refreshed.
We hope these tips help clear that block you are having, and help motivate you to start (or finish) strong! For more tips and tricks, be sure to subscribe to our blog!