We are excited to share with you another recipe from our bakery! This Strawberry Rhubarb Tart is a favorite among our guests and staff. Sweet strawberries and bitter rhubarb on a flaky pastry crust make this tart one the whole family will enjoy. Our head baker, Tiffany, has hand-crafted this recipe to ensure every bit of it is delicious.
What you will need:
- 2 1/2 cups red rhubarb
- 2 1/2 cups strawberries
- Note from Tiffany: Both fresh and frozen fruit are fine to use for this recipe. Using frozen fruit is helpful when the fruit is out-of-season so the tart can be made year-round.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp butter, diced
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- Egg wash
- Crystal sugar for garnish
- Pillsbury pie crust, unbaked
- Note from Tiffany: Do not use an off-brand pie crust. Stick with the dough boy.
What you will do:
- Take strawberries and rhubarb and place into 2 quarts or larger saucepan.
- Place saucepan over medium-low heat and add in sugar.
- Stir fruit and sugar together until dissolved.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, and vanilla and cook until boiling.
- Add diced butter.
- Cook until completely melted.
- Bring pie filling back up to boiling (candy/syrup like texture).
- While waiting for filling to boil, take cornstarch and mix with three tbsp of water to create a slurry.
- Stirring continuously, add slurry until desired thickness is reached.
- Place filling in shallow pan and chill for anywhere from 2 hours to overnight.
- Once cooled, take unbaked pie crust out of refrigerator and let sit at room temp for 15 minutes.
- Place rolled out pie shell on parchment sheet pan.
- Take one heaping cup of filling and place in middle of pie crust.
- Crimp sides to keep filling in place.
- Brush outer crust with egg wash and sprinkle with crystal sugar.
- Place in oven at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- Remove tart from oven and allow to cool to room temp.
- Cut into 8 slices and add a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
Watch the video below to see step-by-step how Tiffany makes this yummy dessert.