We’re back with another delicious recipe from the MHS bakery! Our head baker, Tiffany, has graciously shared with us her recipe for German Chocolate cupcakes topped with a Coconut-Pecan frosting.
These cupcakes are so yummy. They are just the right amount of sweet without being overpowering and are fairly easy to make at home.
Watch our video below to see step-by-step how Tiffany makes these cupcakes and read along for the recipe!
What you will need:
For the cake:
- 2 4 0z. packages sweet chocolate baking bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Parchment paper
For the frosting:
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 12 0z can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
What you will do:
(Make the frosting first so it can thicken while cake is baking)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through. Cool completely (about 20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, cook evaporated milk, sugar, butter, and egg yolks in a heavy 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, 12 to 14 minutes or until mixture becomes a light caramel color, is bubbling, and reaches a pudding-like thickness.
- Remove pan from heat; stir in coconut, vanilla, and pecans. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Let stand, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes or until cooled and spreading consistently.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 3 (9-inch) round cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper, and lightly grease paper.
- Microwave chocolate baking bars and 1/2 cup water in a large microwave-safe bowl at HIGH for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until chocolate is melted and smooth, stirring once halfway through.
- Combine flour and next 2 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form; gently fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and gently run a knife around outer edge of cake layers to loosen from sides of pans. Cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; discard parchment paper. Cool completely (about 1 hour). Spread coconut-pecan frosting onto cakes. Garnish, if desired.